Turkish Prime Minister declares war on internet and blocks Twitter

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, declared war on the internet on Thursday (20) by ordering the blocking of Twitter in the country, triggering a wave of criticism, as the Turkish president himself, Abdullah Gul, to eight days of municipal elections.

The telecommunications authority (TIB) forbade the evening of Thursday the access to this social network, which released earlier phone conversations Erdogan that involved in a corruption scandal.

Among the protests raised by the measure classified censorship stands out to the Turkish President Abdullah Gul, who explicitly condemned the decision of the Prime Minister.

“We can not approve a total blockage of a social networking platform (…) I hope that this situation will not last long,” the president wrote in his account Tiwitter.

Gul had already expressed their disagreements with Erdogan when the prime minister threatened in February to ban YouTube and Facebook.

Already the Republican People’s Party (CHP), the main opposition party, and the president of the Association of Turkish pegs (TBB), Metin Feyzioglu, asked the justice to withdraw this ban.

“It’s an incredible violation of fundamental rights and freedoms,” said AFP deputy CHP Aykan Erdemir, for whom “Turkey belongs, as of now, the most authoritarian countries in terms of freedoms in the network.”

In a tense election campaign corruption cases that reach the government, Erdogan announced on Thursday its intention to prohibit the Twitter front of thousands of supporters in Bursa (west).

“Twitter will delete the map. I do not care what the international community says,” he said.“Freedom does not authorize intrusion into private life,” he added.

However, netizens, who were summoned through social networks, might have access to this social network via other servers, despite the blockade.

Access to Twitter, which has over 10 million users in Turkey , still locked only on the morning of Friday in a part of the Turkish mobile phones.

In social networks circulate calls for protests on Friday (21) in the large cities of the country.

The Turkish decision also sparked international criticism.

The U.S. State Department denounced the measure on Friday and indicated that the decision is “contrary to Turkey’s desire to be a model of democracy.”

The European Commissioner for Enlargement and Neighbourhood Policy, Stefan Fule, was very worried and reminded Ankara candidate, “the use of social networks is a fundamental freedom of the European Union”.

Authoritative action
Have political opponents of Erdogan viewed this decision an authoritarian action of prime minister, in power since 2002.

“The dictator took a dangerous step,” said a spokesman for the CHP Haluk Koç.

Since mid-December, the Turkish government is mired in a corruption scandal unprecedented.Erdogan accuses his former allies of Imam Fethullah Gulen’s brotherhood of being behind the accusations of corruption against his government to destabilize it before the municipal and presidential elections.

In this context, in February the Turkish Parliament adopted a law that strengthens control on the internet.

The Telecommunications Minister Lutfi Elvan, justified the ban on Twitter, stating that “it is a legal decision, not politics.”

“I fear that YouTube and Facebook are the next targets before the municipal elections,” said AFP Professor of Law at Istanbul Bilgi University Private, Yaman Akdeniz.